GNPEC Staff Continuing Daily Operations Remotely
GNPEC encourages you to abide by local, state, and federal guidelines regarding in-person operations. If instruction is modified from what was previously approved, notify your RS immediately. Please continue timely submissions of all applications.
How Do I Request the Use of “College” or “University”?
The determination of the use of the words “college” or “university” is deferred to the Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission by the Secretary of State’s office. If the request is made directly to the Secretary of State’s office, the requestor will receive a letter indicating that the request has not been approved and must be made to GNPEC by the owner of the institution or the registered agent by submitting the form below.
- If the requesting entity is educational:
- GNPEC will not permit the use of “college” or “university” in the name of any authorized or exempt institution or applicant seeking authorization or exemption that is not accredited by a U.S. DOE recognized accreditor unless otherwise approved by the Executive Director. Statutory authority comes from O.C.G.A. § 20-3-250.7(b) No person, agent, group, or entity of whatever kind shall use the term “college” or “university” without authorization to do so from the commission unless it was doing so prior to July 1, 1985, or is otherwise authorized to do so under this part. Nonpublic postsecondary educational institutions operating in this state which are otherwise exempted from this part pursuant to Code Section 20-3-250.3 shall be subject to the provision of this subsection.
- The requested name must not misrepresent, conflict or potentially cause confusion with existing educational institution names.
- If the requesting entity is not educational:
- If the requesting entity is not educational, consideration is given as to whether the nature of the entity at the specific location being requested will cause confusion for students at nearby educational institutions. Other existing educational institutions may be consulted in GNPEC’s making of the determination.
Upon receipt of the submission, the request will be reviewed and the determination will be provided in writing within five to ten business days.