Be on the lookout for fraudulent letters that appear to be enforcement letters from GNPEC.
This page also has important notifications regarding institutions out of compliance with GNPEC code.
Nonpublic, nonprofit, postsecondary education institutions which demonstrate annually to the satisfaction of the commission that their purposes are solely to provide programs of study in theology, divinity, religious education, and ministerial training, and that they do not grant postsecondary certificates, diplomas or degrees of a nonreligious nature, may be eligible for this exemption.
An institution applying for this exemption must certify that it accepts no federal or state funds and that it accepts no student who has a federal or state educational loan to attend the institution.
Application for Exemption
Submission of the following will be required for this exemption:
- 501 (c)(3) authorization from the IRS or Secretary of State confirmation of nonprofit status and/or nonprofit charter for the institution;
- Catalog or brochure detailing programs being offered;
- Sample of diploma, certificate, and/or degree awarded;
- An online application (Please follow the instructions listed for new or renewing institutions); and
- Non-refundable Application Fee
Please review the Religious Exemption Application Instructions below.
Please note that if this is an initial application establishing a new school, GNPEC will not permit the use of “college” or “university” in the name of any applicant seeking exemption that is not accredited by a U.S. DOE recognized accreditor unless otherwise approved by the Executive Director. Additionally, the requested name must not misrepresent, conflict or potentially cause confusion with existing educational institution names.